PROFILE: Led Zeppelin are a popular British band best known for their iconic “Stairway to Heaven” as well as for co-creating the music genre of heavy metal. They recorded nine albums between 1968 and 1979 and have been one of the most popular bands of all time, selling more than 300 million records.
– Jimmy Page – guitar
– John Paul Jones – bass guitar, keyboards
– Robert Plant – vocals
– John Bonham – drums
DID YOU KNOW?
- The quartet began at the end of the Hippie love era and consisted of a variety of music including blues, rock and roll, soul, rockabilly, folk ballad, jazz, classical and Eastern music.
- Each member of the the group contributed to their compositions, setting an example of group creativity. The intense interaction of all four players on the stage gave their live performances a visual counterpoint to well intertwined harmonic and rhythmic structures of their compositions.
- The name “Led Zeppelin”stemmed from a humorous conversation among several musicians about the new band’s chances of going down like a lead balloon.
- In 2006 the band won the Polar Music Prize.
- In 2005 Led Zeppelin won the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award.
- VH1 named the group the #1 Greatest Artist of Hard Rock.
- In 1995, the band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
- The band traveled in a jet nicknamed “The Starship.”
- The band’s “Stairway to Heaven” is said to be the most played song of all time on radio although it was never officially released as a single.
- The band has sold more than 300 million units worldwide, with 111.5 million album sales in the US alone.
- Led Zeppelin – 1969
- Led Zeppelin II – 1969
- Led Zeppelin III – 1970
- Led Zeppelin IV – 1971
- Houses of the Holy – 1973
- Physical Graffiti – 1975
- Presence – 1976
- The Song Remains the Same – 1976
- In through the Out Door – 1979
- Coda – 1982
- Celebration Day – 2012
- Good Times Bad Times / Communication Breakdown – 1969
- Whole Lotta Love / Living Loving Maid (She’s Just A Woman) – 1969
- Immigrant Song / Hey Hey What Can I Do – 1970
- Black Dog / Misty Mountain Hop – 1971
- Rock and Roll / Four Sticks – 1973
- Over The Hills and Far Away / Dancing Days – 1973
- D’yer Mak’er / The Crunge – 1973
- Trampled Under Foot / Black Country Woman – 1975
- Candy Store Rock / Royal Orleans – 1976
- Fool In The Rain / Hot Dog – 1979