Profile: Stevie Nicks is known as the “Reigning Queen of Rock and Roll.” The singer and songwriter is known for her work with Feetwood Mac as well as her own solo career. She signed with Fleetwood Mac in 1975 and they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998. Her influence in music is widely acclaimed and she is recognized as one of music’s top 55 “Greatest Songwriters of All Time.”
Did You Know?
- Between her Fleetwood Mac and solo career, Stevie Nicks, has helped produce over 40 “Top 50” hits and has sold over 140 million albums.
- She has earned eight Grammy Award nominations as a solo artist and Fleetwood Mac is Grammy Award winning.
- Stevie was born May 26, 1948 in Phoenix Arizona.
- She struggled with addiction for years, but continued to tour and release new albums.
- Her famous name reportedly came from her mispronunciation of “Stephanie” as “tee-dee.”
- Stevie’s paternal grandfather, Aaron Nicks, handcrafted her first guitar and taught her well-known country music selections. She began performing with him by the time she was five years old.
- Stevie met classmate, Lindsey Buckingham, in high school and together they formed a strong musical partnership. The two joined a local band in California called Fitz, which opened for acts such as Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix.
- When Fleetwood Mac’s guitarist Bob Welch quit the band, Fleetwood asked Buckingham to join the group who refused unless Stevie was apart of the deal. So, in 1975, Stevie and Buckingham signed on to Fleetwood Mac. The newly formed band quickly recorded a collection that made it straight to No. 1 and sold 3 million copies.
More Random Facts
- She says that animal crackers are her weakness and asks everyone to hide them from her! Vulture attended one of her rehearsals and reported her saying, “I know they’re back there. I can smell them. I could trash this whole place finding those animal crackers.”
- Stevie’s best friend, Robin Snyder Anderson passed away with leukemia two days after giving birth to Matthew Anderson. Three months later, Stevie married Robin’s similarly grieving husband, Kim Anderson, with the notion that she would raise Matthew as her own son. The marriage unfortunately ended in divorce three months later. “It was a terrible, terrible mistake,” Stevie reportedly said. “We didn’t get married because we were in love, we got married because we were grieving and it was the only way that we could feel like we were doing anything.”
- Stevie has a 16-year-old Yorkshire terrier mix named Sulasmith, after the early 20th-century German painter of mysticism Sulasmith Wulfing. The dog’s back is entirely bald, and it is said that Sulasmith has more cashmere than anyone on the tour.
- She bought a black-leather massage chair and travels with it wherever she goes.
- Stevie hangs her important jewelry on a goddess statue in her bathroom.
- She says that she knew she was a drug addict when she began buying her own cocaine and not just using other people’s
- She had a year-long affair with Mick Fleetwood and describes it as an “accident” that “never shoulda happened.”
- She has special scarves that she takes to hotel rooms to drape over lamps to create the right lighting.
List of Studio Albums
- Bella Donna (1981)
- The Wild Heart (1983)
- Rock a Little (1985)
- The Other Side of the Mirror (1989)
- Street Angel (1994)
- Trouble in Shangri-La (2001)
- In Your Dreams (2011)
- 24 Karat Gold: Songs from the Vault (2014)
List of Fleetwood Mac Albums
- Fleetwood Mac (1975)
- Rumours (1977)
- Tusk (1879)
- Mirage (1982)
- Tango in the Night (1987)
- Behind the Mask (1990)
- Say You Will (2003)
Know anymore interesting facts? We want to hear from you! Comment your thoughts and favorite songs by Stevie Nicks below!