Profile: Daryl Hall and John Oates, referred to as Hall & Oates, are an American musical duo from Philadelphia. Daryl Hall is generally the lead vocalists while John Oates primarily plays electric guitar and provides backing vocals. The pair write most of the songs that they perform and achieved their greatest fame from the late 1970s to the mid-1980s with a fusion of rock and roll and rhythm and blues.
Did You Know?
- Hall and Oates have sold an estimated 40 million records.
- They are the third best-selling music duo of all time.
- Their artistic fan base includes Rob Thomas, John Mayer, Brandon Flowers of the Killers, Ben Gibbard of death Cab for Cutie and MTV’s newest hipsters Gym Class Heroes who dubbed their tour “Daryl Hall for President Tour 2007.”
- From the mid- ’70s to the mid ’80s, the duo scored 6 #1 singles.
- In 2003, Hall and Oates were inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame
- In 2014, they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- In 2016 they received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
More Awards and Achievements
- 2011 Music Icon Award – TV Land Awards
- 2009 NARM Honors Daryl Hall & John Oates for Sustained Creative Achievement
- 2008 Daryl Hall & John Oates Named BMI Icons – 56th Annual Pop Awards
- 2003 Recipients of the NARAS Heroes Award
- 1984 Favorite Band, Duo or Group – Pop/Rock – American Music Awards
- 1982 Favorite Band, Duo or Group – Pop/Rock – American Music Awards
What is your favorite Hall and Oates song? Leave your comments below!